What if you get your knee injured while sliding on the hard basketball court? You will be ruled out of the game and even might miss out on a couple of more games. But you could have saved the knee by putting on the best basketball knee pads, sleeves, or braces.
Putting such protection on your knee will decrease the chances of getting injured while sliding or skidding, and at the same time give you relief from any minor pain in that area. These don’t hamper the motion of the player, rather creates a comfortable and safe playing environment for him.
- 1. Mcdavid 6440 Hex Knee Pads
- 2. McDavid Hex Knee Pads Compression Leg Sleeve
- 3. McDavid Teflx Padded Leg Sleeves and Compression
- 4. Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
- 5. Nike Pro Hyperstong Knee Sleeve 3.0
- 6. ShinyPro Knee Compression Sleeves with EVA Padding
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
1. Mcdavid 6440 Hex Knee Pads
The knee pads provide exquisite body protection and confidence during the game as the manufacturer has used HEX technology for the construction. By putting this on your knees or elbow, you can increase your speed and agility on the court. It also keeps the muscle warm by reducing fatigue and cramping.
It doesn’t matter how long the user is wearing the pads, it won’t create any bad smell and discomfort for him. Moreover, the knee pad can keep the knee and elbow area superbly cool and dry. It also saves from abrasions and scratches during any sliding.
- The manufacturer used 80% nylon to construct the knee pad.
- It is made using McDavid HEX technology.
- The knee pad is also equipped with hDc moisture management technology.
- It is available from youth to 2XL size.
- The pad comes with a pull-on closure system.
- It is a machine washable or dryable knee pad.
- It offers versatile usage as it is usable in the knee, elbow, and shin area.
- The HEX technology provides superior, closed-cell foam padding.
- The sleeve stays cool, dry, and odorless even after long-time usage.
- The lengthier sleeves are capable of preventing abrasion and scratches.
- It increases agility in the field by reducing fatigue and cramping.
- It offers lightweight and flexible padding.
- The pad isn’t enough durable and tough for long-lasting use.
- It is not a suitable one for hard sports.
2. McDavid Hex Knee Pads Compression Leg Sleeve
Keeping your dry and cool during the whole game is a necessary thing to stay completely focused as well. And with these compression leg sleeves, there is no worry to feel discomfort even after a long time of usage. It will wick away the sweat and moisture and keep your knee area dry and cool.
With the pull-on closure, you can easily make the knee pad fit and it will stay snugly fit there as long as you are a part of the game. By keeping adequate comfort to the muscle, it will also make it warmer. Thus, the user will enjoy increased agility.
- The knee pad is constructed using nylon.
- The manufacturer used 9 mm HEX technology to make the pad.
- There is hDc moisture-wicking technology used for the construction as well.
- It is designed with a pull-on closure system.
- The knee pad comes with an extended sleeve design.
- There is youth to 2XL sizes available for the knee pad.
- The knee pad ensures protection from high-impact moments with the closed-cell foam padding.
- The extended length of the sleeve keeps the user safe from scrapes and cuts.
- It reduces fatigue and cramping keeping the muscles warm.
- With moisture management technology, the user stays dry and cool.
- It is durable enough for daily rough activities.
- It is machine washable and dryable.
- The sizing isn’t accurate here.
- It’s not enough durable to withstand high-impact moments.
3. McDavid Teflx Padded Leg Sleeves and Compression
This pair of compression leg sleeves will save the wearer from abrasions and scratches even during the intense moments of the game. The compression design fits properly on the knee. Moreover, the moisture management technology used in the sleeves keeps the wearer dry and cool for the whole game.
It doesn’t matter, if you are going to participate in the hardest court, you can keep the knee safer during slides through the surface. Also, the sleeve is easy to put on with a simple pull-on closure system. One more good thing about it is that the usability in elbows.
- The manufacturer used breathable nylon fabric to construct the knee pads.
- They used new 9 mm HEX technology for the construction of the pads.
- It comes with a simple pull-on closure system.
- It is equipped with an additional TEFLX ultra-durable coating.
- The pad has hDc moisture management tech.
- This extended-length sleeve is available from youth to 2XL size.
- The extended length of the sleeves provides a better fit.
- It can withstand continuous skids and slips on hard basketball surfaces with the TEFLX technology.
- The use of breathable fabric keeps the sleeves dry and cool for an extended period.
- Easy to put on with pull-on closure.
- It keeps the muscles warm by reducing fatigue and cramping.
- The sleeves are easy to take care of with machine wash and drying.
- The TEFLX coating doesn’t seem to affect the durability of the sleeve much.
- It isn’t tight enough to stay fit in the place.
4. Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
To ensure support for minor pains on the knee area or the joints, you can rely on this compression knee sleeve without any doubt. The pre-curved design of the sleeve provides instant relief from any pain to the wearer. It also reduces the chances of getting further injured as well.
Except for ensuring protection by using the top-class materials in the construction, the sleeves also provide superb mobility to the wearer. It is easy to find out the proper size for your fit as there are many sizes available. Measure the circumference under the knee cap to find out the ideal fit.
- The manufacturer used latex-free N-Tex neoprene to make the compression sleeve.
- It comes with an anatomical pre-curved design.
- There is a four-way stretch Lycra mesh designed at the back of the sleeve.
- There are sizes from XS to 3XL available.
- It has an integrated technology used for construction.
- It is designed with open patella coverage.
- It provides support to minor pains, sprains, and strains.
- The user will enjoy comfortable flex ventilation because of the four-way stretch Lycra mesh.
- The pre-curved design provides enhanced fit, comfort, and stability.
- It wraps the upper and lower leg tapers with the anatomical fit.
- With the patella buttress, protection and stabilization are ensured in the knee caps.
- The integrated technology reduces odor-causing bacteria.
- The sleeve stretches easily that decreases the compression level.
- It seems too bulky.
5. Nike Pro Hyperstong Knee Sleeve 3.0
If a perfect fit knee sleeve creates an obstacle to the motion of the wearer, it is never a worth item to choose. But this item from Nike provides a snug fit and also doesn’t hamper the movement. It can provide enough support to the joints and muscle area to reduce the pain a bit.
It is capable of ensuring, the aching areas don’t get further injuries. The durability of the product also resists any sort of abrasions from that particular area. It is also usable for a longer period as the proper airflow makes you feel cool and comfortable for an extended period.
- The manufacturer used 39% nylon, 22% thermoplastic elastomer, 18% polyester, 11% spandex, and 10% silicone.
- It comes with a contoured design.
- There is silicone and elastic binding available in the sleeves.
- The sleeve is equipped with mesh zones.
- The user will find support in the joints with lightweight construction.
- It also warms the muscles for a long time of comfort.
- There isn’t any issue with the freedom of movement because of the contoured design.
- It offers enhanced airflow on high-heat areas with mesh zones.
- The silicone and elastic binding allow a secure fit for the user.
- Buyers should be aware to choose the right size for proper functionality.
6. ShinyPro Knee Compression Sleeves with EVA Padding
Basketball players always have chances of getting knee injuries during sliding or skidding. But with this compression sleeve on in the knee area, he can keep himself far away from getting injured. It provides shock absorption to a great extent. Anyone can easily wear it by the simple pull-on closure method.
Except for basketball players, these knee compression sleeves are capable of supporting football players, volleyball players, tennis players, weight lifters, runners, etc. The proper ventilation makes the sleeve usable for a long time. Moreover, the moisture-wicking technology keeps the knee area cool and dry even after long-time usage.
- The manufacturer used high-quality, soft, and elastic polyester fabric to construct the sleeve.
- There is an EVA pad protector included.
- It comes with anti-slip double silicone gel strips.
- These sleeves are available in S to 2XL sizes.
- It has a pull-on closure system.
- This pair of sleeves have an extended length.
- It increases blood circulation through the knee, thigh, and foot area.
- It protects the covered area from UV rays.
- The sleeves are easy to put on and take off.
- It regulates the body temperature easily ensuring the most level of comfort.
- It relieves you from mild pains.
- The soft and wicking technology provides a cool and dry feel even after long-lasting usage.
- The sleeves don’t stay snugly fit, rather slip down quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are Basketball Knee Pads?
The protective gear worn on the knees during a basketball game to keep knee injuries away is known as basketball knee pads. The pad has two parts, one is the sleeve and the other one is the padding. The sleeve has an elasticity to snugly fit around the knee area. It can be lengthier or shorter.
However, the padding is to protect the knees from injuries during slides and it contains cushioned foam construction inside.
2. Why Should You Get Basketball Knee Pads?
It doesn’t matter whether you are a beginner or a pro in basketball, you should always put on knee pads for safety inside the court. It is the knee pad that supports the knee during slides and skids. It also provides proper air-ventilations to keep that area cool and dry as long as the game continues.
3. What is the difference between sleeves, braces, and pads?
Even though it seems that sleeves, braces, and pads are similar in their functionalities, they do have some differences.
a. Knee Braces
Knee braces stands one step further from knee sleeves. Though they are used to give relief from knee area pain, they also provide external support to the anterior knee and patella. It also increases the stability of the knee.
b. Knee Sleeves
Knee sleeves are used to get relief from minor pains or aches. It provides compression and ensures the pain doesn’t increase during the playing hours.
c. Knee Pads
To find the fullest support in the court on the knee area, there isn’t any alternative for knee pads. It protects the knee from further injuries and also makes the slides swift and safer through the hard surfaces.
4. Pads vs. Sleeves vs. Braces - What One to Choose?
Each of these protective gear has its functionalities and it depends on your want, which one of these three you need. For minor pains, knee sleeves will go on well. For chronic pains and stability, knee braces will be the right option. And to save your knee during slides and skids on the hard surfaces, you must go for knee pads.
There are a lot of things you need to ensure in knee pads or sleeves to have the intended performance inside the basketball court. The following are some basics considerable things, which you should never skip.
If you have to often slide on the court, then you have the most chances to hurt your knee area. In such situations, only a padded sleeve can provide your support and prevent such injuries. Normal knee sleeves or braces are only used to provide relief from the existing pain or ache. But it can’t prevent future injuries.
When the sleeve has a protective pad designed on the knee area, it will protect the knee even during the hardest slides or skids. However, the buyer has to ensure the durability and the strength of the padding before purchasing it.
There are a few things you need to know while choosing the materials of the knee sleeves. The sleeve should provide enough compression, flexibility, and comfort. Meanwhile, the padding area must be anti-slippage and durable enough for long-lasting use. Spandex, polyester, and nylon are the most used construction materials.
Spandex provides the flexibility one needs for free movement. Also, the construction of the sleeve should allow proper breathability making it a comfortable one for long-lasting usage.
3. Size and Fit
While choosing a knee pad, one must put the most importance on the size and try to find an ideal fit. Without having a properly sized knee pad, he can never enjoy the other features of this protective gear. Too tight sleeves or pads will create an itchy feel.
On the contrary, too loose one will not stay snugly fit on the right spot. Most manufacturers offer sizes from XXS to XXL, although some also offer XXXL size. The buyer needs to measure the circumference below the knee cap area and choose the right size to find a proper fit.
There are mainly two things you need to look out for here; you want a padded sleeve or sleeves without padding? It doesn’t matter whether you are playing outdoors or hard indoor courts, a padded design will always protect you from abrasion during skids. It will protect you from getting further injured.
Another thing you need to look out for is the length of the sleeve. If you are playing indoors, then it’s not a big matter. But in outdoor conditions, a long sleeve will ensure protection from UV rays as well.
5. Comfort and Flexibility
One can only have protection from protective gear when it is comfortable. The comfort depends largely on the proper sizing and I’ve already discussed this. Then it should allow the user easy put on and take off. Even after finding a proper and comfortable fit, you need adequate motion.
The makers should put enough elasticity on the knee sleeve that won’t affect the free movement. It will ultimately not create any disturbance during the game.
The budget depends on three things mainly, the manufacturing company, the features it offers, and whether it comes in single or pair. Taking all these things together, a single or a pair of basketball knee pads, sleeves, or braces can cost you around $15 to $40.
Have you decided which one of these three protective gears you need for your knees? If you haven’t then read out the article again and select the perfect one depending on your need. And you can also contact me in the comment section for any further questions.